No, it’s not a bad joke, but a real question we recently faced.
In preparation for the earthquake strengthening schedule to start early in the new year, we have been working at emptying the exhibition spaces and taking everything down off display, including the giant sunfish that has been hanging on the wall since the museum was built in 1928 (minus a few breaks here and there for conservation or rehanging).
The sunfish, or Mola mola, was caught in 1895 and purchased for the collection. It took Museum founder Samuel Drew and three assistants three days to skin the 360cm-long fish, after which it was treated and mounted for later exhibition in the gallery space.
And now it has been temporarily removed and placed in storage while the museum building gets strengthened. A big and rather delicate project.
So, how many men does it take to move a sunfish? Take a look and see for yourself…